[Aspell-user] Personal word list problems

From: Maurice Rickard
Subject: [Aspell-user] Personal word list problems
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:18:47 -0500

Has anyone managed to get personal word lists working in aspell-0.50.2-1? I've been unable to add words to the word list, and consequently have been unable to have these custom words recognized as "good" by Aspell.

I see that installing Aspell *did* result in the creation of .aspell.en.pws and .aspell.en.prepl files in my home directory (Mac OS X). I also see that an aspell config dump from the command line tells me that Aspell expects to find those files there.

These, however, are the problems:

1) When I have Aspell process a file (through a pipe) containing the words I want to add (each on a separate line preceded by a *), Aspell *seems* to work, but nothing happens--nothing shows up in the .aspell.en.pws file, and checking those words with Aspell shows me that Aspell still thinks they're wrong.

2) Manually editing the .aspell.en.pws file to insert the words puts them in the file, but Aspell still thinks they're wrong.

3) When I add --personal=/Users/home/.aspell.en.pws to the aspell command, Aspell appears not to work. While my interface to the pipe tells me that Aspell found no errors with the test words, it also finds no errors with anything (for example, "adfdnbasiuif" isn't flagged as an error).

4) When I create the aspell.conf file (which doesn't seem to have been created) and point Aspell at the personal word list, it behaves as above.

So any recommendations for how to make this work? I have a client who needs to have a working personal word list.

Thanks for any help  you can give,
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/