[Aspell-user] create master loses the last letter of each word

From: Gabriel Farrell
Subject: [Aspell-user] create master loses the last letter of each word
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:52:47 -0400

[reposting with a new subject line, as per Gary Setter's suggestion.]

I'm trying to create a master list.

    $ echo 'bob mike janus' > wl.txt
    $ aspell --lang=en create master ./dict.rws < wl.txt
    Warning: The word "bob mike janus" is invalid. The character ' ' (U+20)
    may not appear in the middle of a word. Skipping word.
    Segmentation fault

If I edit the file and separate each word with a newline, I get:

    $ aspell --lang=en create master ./dict.rws < wl.txt
    $ aspell dump master ./dict.rws
    bo
    mik
    janu

As you can see, the last letter in each word is cut off.  If I add an
extra letter to the end of each word, such as an 'a', then that letter
gets removed and the dictionary looks and acts fine (suggestions and
checks work), but that seems a heck of a workaround!  If I separate
each word by a space and a newline, I get:

    $ aspell --lang=en create master ./dict.rws < wl.txt
    Warning: The word "bob " is invalid. The character ' ' (U+20) may not
    appear at the end of a word. Skipping word.
    Warning: The word "mike " is invalid. The character ' ' (U+20) may not
    appear at the end of a word. Skipping word.
    Warning: The word "janus " is invalid. The character ' ' (U+20) may not
    appear at the end of a word. Skipping word.
    Segmentation fault

I'm using Debian, by the way.

    $ aspell -v
    @(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.4)