[Aspell-user] Error: The spell checker did not respond

From: richardsouthgate
Subject: [Aspell-user] Error: The spell checker did not respond
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:07:22 +0000

Hi, I installed the spellchecker into Dokuwiki as per the instructions
below (taken from Dokuwiki) I used the 'No Status Quo' version

When I run the spellchecker I get the message below appear in a dialog box:
Error: The spell checker did not respond

I cannot understand what is happening or why. Is anyone available to
comment

With kind regards,
Richard

*******
Windows

Note: if you are using PHP5 and IIS6, this cannot be made to work; anything
returned from aspell is, for some reason, ignored.

- Use the nice point and click installers to install Aspell and at least
one dictionary. If you're using an English dictionary you can download
Aspell 0.60.3 for Win32 from No Status Quo. If you're not using an English
dictionary currently only 0.5.x pre-compiled Aspell binaries exist here;
however these (seem to) work fine. 1)
   1. Edit your dokuwiki.php config file (or better, edit/create local.php)
      to activate the spell checker *and* to give the path to Aspell, e.g,
      from my local.php:
  $conf['spellchecker']= 1;
  define ('ASPELL_BIN','C:\apachefriends\xampp\Aspell\bin\aspell.exe');

You'll notice that the path to aspell.exe does not contain any spaces. If
you have installed Aspell to 'Program Files', you will have to use the
abbreviation that Windows generates, i.e.
'C:\PROGRA~1\Aspell\bin\aspell.exe' (This is the setting you want to use if
you've used Aspell from No Status Quo.)

You can list the abbreviated directory names by entering dir /x at the
command prompt - this will give you the Windows abbreviation for folders
contained in that folder.
*******