Re: [Aspell-user] Help Needed To Maintain Aspell's Many Dictionaries

From: Lars Aronsson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Help Needed To Maintain Aspell's Many Dictionaries
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:44:51 +0100 (CET)

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> Aspell currently has official dictionaries for over 80 languages which must
> all be kept up to date.

In my mind, the obvious reorganization of responsibilities would
be to hand over the maintenance of the word lists to the Wikimedia
Foundation, and to keep only the software-specific parts (such as
suffix definitions) within the Aspell project.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, was started in January 2001 and
it soon became obvious that dictionary-like articles (word
definitions) didn't fit in this encyclopedia.  In order to have
somewhere to direct people who still wanted to write
dictionary-like articles, Wiktionary, the free dictionary, was
started in December 2002.  The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., was
incorporated (in Florida) in June 2003 to handle these and other
similar projects.  Because Wiktionary was started as a spinoff for
articles that didn't fit in an encyclopedia, its structure is more
like the Oxford English Dictionary than any spelling dictionary.
Wiktionary (www.wiktionary.org) is currently available in 80
languages, of which 25 have more than 10,000 words (basic forms).
Within the same foundation, there is also a parallel project
called WiktionaryZ that has a somewhat different structure.

The spelling dictionaries for Aspell (and its predecessors spell
and ispell) don't quite fit any of these structures, but would
probably have to be kept separate.  As long as they are in the
public domain or released under "free content" licenses, I don't
think there would be any problems with this.

I'm not a spokesperson for the Wikimedia Foundation, but I've been
following these projects since their inception and could help in
talking to the right people, if you think this could be part of a
useful solution.

--
  Lars Aronsson (address@hidden)