Re: [Aspell-user] Unicode

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Unicode
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:38:31 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Lars Aronsson wrote:

I'm running Ubuntu Linux 6.06 that comes with Aspell 0.60.4.  I
see two problems related to Unicode.  This system uses UTF-8 by
default, and I'm trying to leave ISO 8859-1 behind all together.

1. I'm trying to create my own master dictionary.  Is it
impossible to have the word list in utf-8? Section 7.1 of the web
documentation seems to say so,
http://aspell.sourceforge.net/man-html/The-Language-Data-File.html

You can set the "data-encoding" to utf-8 in the language data file. But that also effects the default encoding used in files like the personal dictionary for all users of the dictionary.

2. The output from "aspell -l sv dump master" is in broken utf-8.
If the command is prefixed with LC_CTYPE=iso8859-1 and the output
is piped through "recode l1..u8", all is fine.  But without this,
aspell's dump command converts to UTF-8 but truncates the words.
For example, in the 5 letter word "själv" the middle letter
a-umlaut is coded in UTF-8 as two bytes (octal 0303 0244), but the
output string is truncated to 5 bytes: "s", "j", "\0303", "\0244",
"l" and the last "v" is missing.

This will be fixed in the next version. You can use CVS branch "rel_0_60-branch" or search for the bug report which should include the patch.

--
 Lars Aronsson (address@hidden)