Re: [Aspell-user] Dictionary of proper names (Lars Aronsson)

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Dictionary of proper names (Lars Aronsson)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:45:48 +0100

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 08:53:25AM +0200, ge wrote:
>  Lars Aronsson wrote:
> >Names of places and people are the same in every language.
>
> They are not.

And for some of them, there are even more subtle differences,

E.g., in "Castellano" (general Castellano, usually known as Spanish)
you say Gerona, but in Spanish ("Castellano", as is official in
Spain), you say Girona. While "Castellano" is official in all Spain,
there are different languages in our country, and some names of
places are official in Spain as written in the local language, but this is a
local setting that does not affect how it is called from other Spanish
speaking countries.

> >Even
> >though English has its own word for Copenhagen, writing the Danish
> >name København in an English text is never really wrong.
>
> Not wrong, but unnecessary.

Writing København in Spanish is absolutely martian. We call it
"Copenhague".

> > And
> >Stockholm is the same in almost every language.  So should
> >København and Stockholm be part of every dictionary?
>
> Of course not.

Please put "Estocolmo" in the same place :-)

> >Or should we try to make a separate, international
> >dictionary for names of places and people?
>
> You can do that. Does anybody hinder you?

I would associate them with a language, including {suf,pre}fixes.

--
Agustin