Re: [Aspell-user] suggestions with confidence levels

From: Amit Khemka
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] suggestions with confidence levels
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:41:33 +0530

On 4/25/07, Ethan Bradford <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>
> I have another query:   Given a word and its possible suggestions how
> can I decide that anything with less than score 50, is a good
> replacement candidate ! Or say if the score of the first suggestion is
> 200 rather than picking that as a possible alternative i rather ignore
> it.
>
> May be knowing the way these scores are calculated would help, or else
> i guess i will have to use some heuristics.

Empirically, just from looking at several  lists of spelling suggestions, I
came up with a cut off of 130.

The biggest advantage I got from the score was in knowing when the top
suggestions had the same score, and thus could be reorganized based on other
criteria (I have a rough estimate of frequency from another source).  When
the scores are different, I almost always use their ranking.  The fudge
factor I put in to allow frequency to override this is to raise the ratio of
the scores to the 20th power and compare that to the ratios of the
frequencies.

Sounds Interesting, I need it for some similar purpose. I think i will
need to find my own parameters. Thanks for your inputs ( and the patch
) !

cheers,
----
Amit Khemka
Home Page: www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~csd00377
Endless the world's turn, endless the sun's Spinning, Endless the quest;
I turn again, back to my own beginning, And here, find rest.