Re: [Aspell-user] from a new user

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] from a new user
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:01:34 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, David Epstein wrote:

en
en-variant_0

but that didn't give me the information I need. I managed to find various
files with suffixes like .multi and .rws, but these were practically empty.
(This task was non-trivial and needed some luck, so maybe I haven't found
the correct locations of the correct files.) According to Unix "file"
command, the .multi files were ascii and the .rws files were "data", so
presumably binary. But these files were much too small to give the spelling
of a reasonable list of English words. I would expect such a file to be
somewhere between 50K and 1M in length. To be more specific, and to relate
the question to my original question, I want to know what file aspell is
accessing that tells it that "analyze" is OK, but not "analyse". More, I
want to find an analogous file that would lead aspell to accept "analyse"
but not "analyze". More, I want to know how to tell aspell to use one of
these dictionaries and not the other.

Aspell combines multiple smaller dictionaries into one, that is what the ".multi" file is, if you look at the contents of the file you should see what's included. The ".rws" are the binary dictionary files that Aspell uses.

To look at any dictionary file use "aspell dump master <DICT>". Where DICT can either be one of the dictionaries listed in "aspell dump dicts" or a dictionary file.

Kevin said "there are two British English variants
to chose from, use "aspell --dump dicts" to get a list of installed dict."
But when I performed this command, I didn't get two variants, the list had
something like 15 entries, each with "en" as part of the name. What are all
these variants? Are they described in any associated documentation? How can
I see the list of words that they are associated with?

Look more closely you should see.

en_GB-ise
en_GB-ize

Those are the two variants for British English. You can use them something like "aspell -d en_GB-ise".

The doc, is in the dictionary source file, and most Linux distributions copy the files to /usr/share/doc/aspell-en or something close.