Re: [Aspell-user] from a new user

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] from a new user
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:32:30 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, David Epstein wrote:

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, David Epstein wrote:
Q1. Is it possible to have a file of incorrectly spelled words, that
overrides the dictionary being used by aspell? For example, when using
British English, I might want to outlaw "analyze". Alternatively, I might
want to outlaw "analyse". How should I do this?

Unfortunately, No.  But keep in mind there are two British English
variants
to chose from, use "aspell --dump dicts" to get a list of installed dict.

Kevin, thanks very much for your patient answers.
Is aspell still under development? If so, how does one submit an enhancement
request? I realize all the work is unpaid and voluntary, and yet ... it
would be great to be able to have a private reject list of words that are
rejected, no matter what the dictionaries say. This is particularly relevant
when there are variant spellings, both correct, of some words, which is
quite often the case in English. In some contexts, consistency is highly
prized,  and it wouldn't matter which variant one used, provided it was
always the same variant throughout a document.

The Aspell dictionaries should only contain one spelling variant for work
(with a few exceptions when the variants are so different that they are
unlikely to be confused with each other, for example: OK and okay).  You
should really look at the documentation that came with the English
dictionary.

Another point is that the
spelling of certain words is changing. It seems hard to make provision for
these problems with the current structure of aspell. To make life simpler
for the programmer, the implementation could be 100% literal, so that the
programmer wouldn't have to worry about capitalization, plurals, verb
endings and the like.

Your welcome to submit a feature request if one doesn't already exists (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=245).