[Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words

From: Ciarán Ó Duibhín
Subject: [Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 00:14:51 +0100

I'd like to know which, if any, spellcheckers can be configured to act like
this.  (The examples are from English but the real need comes from other
languages.)  Asking here about aspell particularly, of course.

First, if necessary, allow the dictionary to contain words with apostrophe "'"
and hyphen "-" in any position. (I am aware of the side-effects of this and am
not worried by them.)

Now, when checking text:

1. Accept a word containing a hyphen if EITHER the dictionary contains the
whole word including the hyphen ("hotch-potch") OR if the dictionary contains
both parts separately ("half-moon").

2. With a dictionary containing "'twas" but not "twas", accept "'twas".

3. With a dictionary containing "well" but not "'well", not accept "'well".

That's what I would like to happen, and it seems to me not unreasonable.

In some experiments, Aspell (0.50-3 in Windows) did not do what I wanted in any
of these cases.  But perhaps I'm omitting to do something, or perhaps other
implementations behave differently, or later versions.
The spellchecker in MSWord passes all the tests, but unfortunately it is not
available for use in other applications.
I haven't been able to test Hunspell.

I would be interested to hear anyone else's evidence or experiences.

Ciarán Ó Duibhín.