Re: [Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 16:55:53 +0200

Hi All,

Aspell author here.

Aspell does not support what I think you are after very well. That is why it is not enabled by default in the English dictionary. For some insight on why see: http://aspell.net/man-html/Words-With-Symbols-in-Them.html

Changing the language data file should be able to force Aspell to accept them when compiling a dictionary but Aspell won't necessary be able to check them within a document.

Rather than modifying the data file, when compiling a dictionary you can force Aspell to accept any word by using the "--dont-validate-words" argument. To spellchecker with these special words you need to keep Aspell from trying to tokenize a string into words (i.e, "hello world!" gets split into "hello" and "world"). I think you need to use the C API for this.

I hope this all makes sense.

Kevin.