Re: [Aspell-user] [ASPELL] Problema con el makefile del diccionario 0.5

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] [ASPELL] Problema con el makefile del diccionario 0.5
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 19:16:03 +0200

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 02:40:18PM +0200, Vincent Belaïche wrote:
> Hola !

Hi,

Remember that aspell-user uses English as communication language.
I am just adding some info, including partial translations for
aspell maintainer benefit (Hi, Kevin)

> El diccionario que está allí :
>
>   ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/es/aspell-es-0.50-2.tar.bz2
>
> tiene un archivo Makefile.pre con:
>
> --8<----8<----8<----8<----8<-- begin -->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----
> es.rws: es.cwl
>

> .SUFFIXES: .cwl .rws
>
> .cwl.rws:
>       ${WORD_LIST_COMPRESS} d < $< | ${ASPELL} ${ASPELL_FLAGS} --lang=es
> create master ./$@
> --8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--  end  -->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----

That Makefile snippet is created by aspell proc script from aspell-lang in
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/. Similar snippets seems to be in all other
aspell dictionaries (20101122 aspell-lang seems to still use that).

At least for GNU make those suffix rules are the original and obsolete way
of defining implicit rules.

> Es mejor no emplear `.SUFFIXES', no funcciona bien con todos los Make
> (por ejemplo con MSYS no funcciona), y en lugar de `.SUFFIXES' escribir
> la norma así:
>
> --8<----8<----8<----8<----8<-- begin -->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----
> es.rws: es.cwl
>
> %.rws: %.cwl
>       ${WORD_LIST_COMPRESS} d < $< | ${ASPELL} ${ASPELL_FLAGS} --lang=es
> create master ./$@

That is the current way of defining implicit rules, at least in GNU make.
I'd have expected old suffix rules to work in any make, but seems not the
case, at least for MSYS. Will normal implicit rules work in any make?

What do you think, Kevin?

--
Agustin