Re: [Beaver-devel] Syhi User Interface

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Syhi User Interface
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:49:20 -0400

Leslie Polzer wrote:
Hello Michael,

1)
I suggest we create a new tab in the Prefs called "File Types".
We can then present the various file types in a list like this

Extension(s) | Highlighter | Compile Command
C,cpp,cxx    | "C++"       | g++ -fsyntax-only %s
...          | ...         | ...

..and, of course, the necessary widgets to add, modify and delete
entries.

We wouldn't show the extensions here. GtkSourceView has an idea of the extensions if we really want them. I don't know how to get them, but I think there is some interface. :) Plus, beaver already has an interface for (automatically at first) choosing what language we are using.

But yeah, I agree with the basic idea. The only problem I see is what if users want to do several commands (but not necessarily at the same time). I guess we can add a general command button feature later if we need.

2)
Have you seen Vim's language menu? A tree structure might be helpful
sometimes. Think of

Assembly Language
  -> i386
     -> Intel Syntax
     -> AT&T Syntax
  -> Sparc

.

3)
Does GtkSourceView already support nested languages? If not so, have you
any idea on how to accomplish this?

I think the language file format has a value called Type or something, that says what kind of 'language' it was describing. It has values like Source or Other. I don't think it has any more granularity than that. Though, that's a start.

We could either hard code in our heirarchy, or we could try and talk to the gtksourceview guys to make some more explicit Type values like Assembly, Interpreted, or whatever. Also, to support your even further idea of sublanguages, we could provide patches to support .lang file inheritance. So, there could be a base i386 lang file with anything that is common across all assembly languages (probably everything but keywords), and then the assembly_intel.lang file can say what is special about intel.

-mt