bibledit-development

[be] First bibledit 3.6 Ubuntu package is built and being tested

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: [be] First bibledit 3.6 Ubuntu package is built and being tested
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:38:57 -0800

Teus Benschop wrote:

I was about to release version 3.6 and have considering it since last
week. Your message was the last push needed to make this release, so
I've just done that.

Got it, thanks; that is definitely *more* than I asked for!

I have a first package of 3.6 done, and it builds on my local machine. I need to test it a bit, and add "lintian overrides" for the lack of man pages for the subsidiary bibledit-* binaries, then we should be set to attempt REVU -- or a sync into Debian experimental and then a merge from there into Jaunty.

Since bibledit is already in both distributions, albeit in a rather old version, I think the latter approach is actually the more correct one... I'll look into that tomorrow, God willing. If that works, it gets bibledit into both distributions, although Debian Lenny is already frozen, so we'd not be in a Debian stable release until the *next* one.

I remember having tried to push git tags out, and it didn't work right
away, so I gave up, but will try the matter again to see if that can be
done.

Great. If you have trouble with that again, let me know the exact command(s) you are using to push them out, and the error messages you get, and I'll ask for help from more git-expert people than myself to see if we can find a solution.

You are clearly a *very* responsive "upstream"; thanks for making my life as a packager easier!

Right now bibledit-3.6-1ubuntu1~jmarsden1 is building in my PPA, so Ubuntu Intrepid users who want to test it out could add a line

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jmarsden/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

to their /etc/apt/sources.list file and then try

  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install bibledit

to install it from there. This *is* still definitely a private test version, so I'd not suggest this be done by anyone who can't afford any issues with it at all, obviously!

No promises, but... do you have good current RPM packaging for Fedora and CentOS already? A quick Google search found only RPMs for bibledit 0.6, dated 2005 :-)

Thanks,

Jonathan