bontz-team

[Bontz-team] conversations

From: Ryan Wilkinson
Subject: [Bontz-team] conversations
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:52:07 -0500

Thought I would toss out my ideas on character conversations.  I would like to
implement them with the menu class that I am working on.

My model follows the common sense rules of RPG conversations.  The stuff being
said to Furgason is posted on top.  All of the available replies and
questions that Furgason can choose from are posted underneath.  All of
Furgason's replies can be chosen by keyboard or mouse.

Below are conversation screenshots from the classic RPG - Ultima 7.  I love
the style that was used in this game.  Fully mouse driven conversations.
Character portraits are posted next to the text of who is speaking.  If the
character's mood changes from happy to sad, their portrait might change mid
conversation.  Any other ideas or reasons why we shouldn't go this route are
welcome of course.

http://exult.sourceforge.net/images/screenshots/textbg.png
http://exult.sourceforge.net/images/screenshots/uccshot1.png
http://exult.sourceforge.net/images/screenshots/exult_studio1.jpg
http://exult.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Off Topic: The sourceforge project that I am linking to is basically a project
to rewrite the engine behind the old comercial DOS game.  Thanks to the new
engine it is playable in linux, win32, beos, etc.  Very cool, and fun to play
around with since they expose the guts of the game.  Each NPC has a full 24
hour schedule set up.  Still can't believe they didn't get sued by Origin
Systems now owned by Electronic Arts.