bontz-team

Re: [Bontz-team] conversations

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: Re: [Bontz-team] conversations
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:09:54 -0700 (PDT)

If you're volunteering to do all the
text/menu/dialogue related coding, you automatically
get the most control over how it looks/works.  :^)  I
won't make any fonts as fugly as those in the
screenshots you linked to, but apart from that I like
it.  I'd figured to have character mugshots for
conversations, several emotions each, etc.

I had envisioned a simpler, one-dialogue-box layout,
like any given final fantasy game.  The person talking
would say their piece and have their face shown, and
the responses selectable with the finger pointer
(and/or mouse-guided cursor, I'll leave that to you)
in the same dialogue area, which would typically be
the bottom or top 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen.  I'm also
a fan of having all text options stacked vertically as
opposed to one after another, and I didn't envision
the dialogue trees getting very involved in Bontz so
we probably wouldn't need a huge number of options.
Usually yes/no will do, with the odd occasion of "help
the blind fight the deaf / help the deaf fight the
blind" or something weird like that thrown in.

As I say, if you're writing the code, you're free to
make it look however you want.  I'll get a few
mugshots put together for testing purposes.  What
size, do you think?  64x128?  128x128?  Any special
borders etc, or will they be inside "standard" text
boxes?  I'd vote the latter, so if we do some
customizable borders etc there's nothing to re-render.