dfey-nw-discuss

Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use Policy ?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:30:12 +0000

2008/11/5 James Grabham <address@hidden>:
> Indeed, but the banning of "chat" must be annoying; when I'm at college and
> have nothing better to do, I often log into CGI:IRC.
> Also, what counts as "bad language" in emails - I often swear in emails to
> friends etc, as I would in normal conversation, but it wouldn't necessarily
> be "obscene", or "offensive".  (In fact, most of my lecturers at college say
> much worse things ;) ).

Oh I agree, it's certainly annoying, I spent the majority of my time
at college reading slashdot and writing emails. But I understand that
the college has to cover itself and banning use of the computers for
anything other than college work seems reasonable (not really any
worse than in work) as long as their enforcement isn't too draconian
(i.e you can get away with most things as long as you don't take the
piss).