discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Electric's PCB functionality

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Electric's PCB functionality
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 19:52:43 -0700

In the description of Electric product, I found the
following statement:

The program handles the following types of designs:
MOS (6 CMOS variations, 1 nMOS variation), bipolar and
BiCMOS, schematics and printed circuits, digital
filters, temporal logic, and artwork.

which mentions Printed Circuits. But reading the
User's Manual, I didn't find chapters or sections
on this topic. Is it a future plan or existing
feature?

Electric really only handles Printed Circuits in a limited way. There is a Printed Circuit technology that supports up to 8-layer boards (thus enabling you to display and edit the finished boards). There is a schematic editor that can be used, at the other end, to design boards. However, there are no parts libraries, nor are there place-and-route facilities in Electric.

Some people have done PC design in Electric, but they do it by drawing schematics, and then exporting those netlists to other systems that do the place, route, and final layout. Electric is able to generate netlists for three such systems: Pads, ECAD, and Eagle.

Nevertheless, your point is well taken, and I will update the documentation to more precisely describe Electric's capabilities.

   -Steven Rubin