discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Electric and Mocmos

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Electric and Mocmos
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 21:36:03 -0700

I'm now learning to make layouts in Electric. The technology is mocmos (now submicron), and the process is TSMC 0.18um. I was confused by:

1. Should the lambda size be changed from 0.2um (default) to 0.10um?
   Where: Electric -> Technology -> change units -> mocmos
   Reference: http://www.mosis.org/products/fab/vendors/tsmc/tsmc018/

You should change lambda to 0.1um because the gate is 2 lambda wide.  Mosis will shrink the 0.2um gate down to 0.18 when the fabricate it.

 2. Do I have to change the design rules?
   Where: Electric -> Tools -> DRC -> DRC Rules ...

You do not have to change the design rules if you are using MOSIS, because they use SCMOS rules that are scalable.  Their one set of rules applies to many different processes and sizes.

3. Can I refer to TSMC 0.18um process parameters for my layout? How to calculate the width of rails?
   Parameters: sheet resistances, contact and vias resistances, and maximum current for metals/contact/vias, etc.

You will have to apply the process parameters yourself (for example when creating SPICE headers).  Electric will extract simple parasitics such as area and perimeter, but will not apply advanced features such as you mention.

   -Steven Rubin