discuss-gnu-electric

New Version ?

From: Thomas A.D. Riley
Subject: New Version ?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 20:48:24 -0400

> But I'd like to tell everyone who may actually be reading this list that
> Electric is alive, and in active development.  In fact, we have spent the
> last 8 months recoding the entire system in Java.  The new system is
> already being tested by users and should be ready for release in the
> summer.  It is already an improvement over the C version.
>
>     -Steven Rubin

This is very interesting. Where can I get more info on it? Does it require a Sun JDK/JRE?
Any info on development environment such as netbeans vs eclipse vs emacs/vi?
Are all the "Add-ins" such as QUISC, ALS or the VHDL compiler converted to Java as well?
I expect the Java interface has been preserved or enhanced. What about lisp or tcl?

I think the move to Java could be a very good thing. It could make extending electric for custom applications much easier.

How can I (or any one else) help?