discuss-gnu-electric

Re: New Version ?

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: New Version ?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:11:11 -0700

This is very interesting. Where can I get more info on it? Does it require a Sun JDK/JRE?
Any info on development environment such as netbeans vs eclipse vs emacs/vi?
Are all the "Add-ins" such as QUISC, ALS or the VHDL compiler converted to Java as well? I expect the Java interface has been preserved or enhanced. What about lisp or tcl?

I think the move to Java could be a very good thing. It could make extending electric for custom applications much easier.

How can I (or any one else) help?

At this point, we are adding some finishing touches and testing it in our group. The system will use some 1.4 features, so those of you with 1.3 will have to upgrade. We are using many different development environments in our group: some use NetBeans, others Eclipse, still others IntelliJ.

The initial release will NOT come with the add-ons that you mentioned. There will definitely be missing pieces in it. It has only been 9 months since we started the new version, and our team of 3-1/2 has been working continuously. Still, there is a lot to translate, and we had to prioritize. For this reason, we will simultaneously release a newer (and final) version of the C code that is compatible at the "elib" level. Users will be able to save libraries to disk and read them into the C version and visa-versa. It will not be absolutely necessary to upgrade to the latest C version to get "elib" compatibility, but it will be advised.

Although there are some pieces missing from the Java code, some of them have been rewritten completely and are greatly improved. For example, the NCC code was rewritten completely.

Still, after the initial Java release, we will solicit requests for missing pieces that need to be filled-in.

So right now, there is nothing that you can do to help, but thanks for asking!

-Steven Rubin