Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 19:50:59 +0200

    Ergus> I just pushed a new branch with the fill-column-indicator
    Ergus> feature.  I would prefer to rebase before pushing to the
    Ergus> master branch. (In my ideal world I will rebase and then do
    Ergus> a merge with -no-ff. But this is not the workflow you have
    Ergus> here)
    >>
    >> I took a quick look. Itʼs three commits, including the NEWS
    >> changes. Any reason you donʼt want to squash those into a
    >> single commit?
    >>
    Ergus> No, I do the squash when I rebase before merging to master
    Ergus> and I do all the changes and fixes recommended on top of
    Ergus> this branch.

Thatʼs what I meant. One other point: none of your commits have
ChangeLog style entries, see "** Commit messages" in CONTRIBUTE for a
long description of the format (and learn to love "C-x 4 a")

    Ergus> I just keep it like this now because recommendations will
    Ergus> arrive and I don't want to overwrite public history
    Ergus> constantly if many changes are suggested before the
    Ergus> approval. This is like a develop branch for the feature, so
    Ergus> I'll put things "pretty" in the last moment. and in the
    Ergus> mean time I will just add commits on top of it.

Sure.

    Ergus> So, how is decided when to move this to the master branch?
    Ergus> (the equivalent to accept the pull request)

When Eli says itʼs ready, which requires some people to try it out and
give feedback.

    Ergus> There are changes in the NEWS already but not in the
    Ergus> manual. So, just tell me the following steps.
    >>
    >> The NEWS changes have some minor issues (spelling, two spaces
    >> after full stop, spurious whitespace), but the new user
    >> variables and modes need descriptions in the user manual.
    >>
    >> Robert
    >>
    Ergus> So you mean that the variables descriptions shouldn't be in
    Ergus> NEWS?

What you've put in NEWS now is pretty comprehensive, perhaps too much
so. Iʼd cut down what's in NEWS and move the extensive description to
the manual, probably (info "(emacs)Fill Commands")

Robert