Re: Comprehensive JSX support in Emacs

From: Jackson Ray Hamilton
Subject: Re: Comprehensive JSX support in Emacs
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 09:02:37 -0700

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for taking another look at my work.  Regarding your message…

However, there is a noticeable delay when editing some lines in my
1000-line monolith.jsx file,
This sounds a bit worrisome.  Slow font-lock rules?
Regarding that: if you can provide a concrete example, maybe we can help
figure out where's the source of the performance issue and how to avoid it.
Sure, I’ve attached an example.  If you try editing the three <div> elements with the text “Is it slow to edit this node?” then you can observe the performance issue with the first two elements.

That reminds me: could you add a comment somewhere explaining what
you do in syntax-propertize-function vs what you do in font-lock
and inlining (some of those choices are completely obvious, but others
are much less so with non-obvious tradeoffs).  And also why you decided
to do it this way, obviously.
Yes, I’ll do that.

E.g. have you considered marking the < and > in the JSX parts with
a parenthesis-syntax?
Good idea, I’ll see if I can make that work.

Jackson