Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2019 21:31:28 +0300

> Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 20:19:25 +0200
> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I have been testing all the latest changes with the display-fci-mode and
> I have just found that the display-fill-column-indicator variable (and
> the others) are not buffer local anymore after the latest changes. So I
> cannot enable the mode for some buffers and not for others.
>
> As in display-line-numbers this works because there are still the
> Fmake_variable_buffer_local (Qdisplay_line_numbers); I tested
> customize-variable for display-line-numbers variables and it looks like
> setting in that way doesn't work as it was happening to
> display-fill-column-indicator yesterday.

Sorry, I don't think I understand what you are saying here.  I see
that the display-fill-column-indicator variables aren't made
buffer-local in xdisp.c; why not?  Would doing that solve the problem?

And what do you mean by "it looks like setting in that way doesn't
work as it was happening to display-fill-column-indicator yesterday"?
What did you try, and what didn't work? and why are you talking about
display-line-numbers and display-fill-column-indicator intermittently?

> If I set any of those with set-variable it works. So it is exactly the
> same problem I had on yesterday.

I thought yesterday's problem was that customize-variable didn't work
at all.

> So the problem seems to be somewhere else. Any suggestion?

What problem are we talking about?  I'm confused.