Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 20:38:06 +0200

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 20:19:25 +0200
From: Ergus <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

I have been testing all the latest changes with the display-fci-mode and
I have just found that the display-fill-column-indicator variable (and
the others) are not buffer local anymore after the latest changes. So I
cannot enable the mode for some buffers and not for others.

As in display-line-numbers this works because there are still the
Fmake_variable_buffer_local (Qdisplay_line_numbers); I tested
customize-variable for display-line-numbers variables and it looks like
setting in that way doesn't work as it was happening to
display-fill-column-indicator yesterday.

Sorry, I don't think I understand what you are saying here.  I see
that the display-fill-column-indicator variables aren't made
buffer-local in xdisp.c; why not?  Would doing that solve the problem?

And what do you mean by "it looks like setting in that way doesn't
work as it was happening to display-fill-column-indicator yesterday"?
What did you try, and what didn't work? and why are you talking about
display-line-numbers and display-fill-column-indicator intermittently?

If I set any of those with set-variable it works. So it is exactly the
same problem I had on yesterday.

I thought yesterday's problem was that customize-variable didn't work
at all.

So the problem seems to be somewhere else. Any suggestion?

What problem are we talking about?  I'm confused.

sorry:

M-x customize-variable RET display-line-numbers