Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 12:15:11 -0400

Alex wrote:

> Do we really have to consider RHEL 5, considering that it's on "Extended
> Life Cycle Support"[1]? If someone is paying extra for post-Production
> support for a "retired"[1] enterprise distro from 2007, then I doubt
> that they or their users will be running the latest Emacs, especially a
> GTK build instead of terminal-only or another toolkit such as Lucid.

I'm a long-term RHEL user, and I completely agree that there is no need
for Emacs 27 to worry about supporting RHEL5 (at all, never mind for GTK).
(IIRC, RHEL5 shipped with Emacs 21.)

(Since RHEL7 was released 5 years ago, I also have no problem with
dropping RHEL6 support in Emacs 27 if it makes maintenance significantly
easier.)