Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 18:35:12 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> * Old file selection dialog
>> This is only optionally used in GTK 2, but the old dialog is long
>> deprecated in GTK 2 (removed in GTK 3), so I figured that this is a good
>> time to remove it and simplify the existing code.
>
> I think this should be left alone.  It's a separate issue anyway, and
> should be submitted separately.  It would be good to try to establish
> whether this feature is turned on by someone, but given that it's only
> for GTK2, I tend to think we should simply let it die a natural death
> together with GTK2.

Okay, done.

>> > Please also tell with which GTK versions did you try building with to
>> > verify the correctness of the changes.
>>
>> I tested with GTK 2.24.32 and GTK 3.24.7. I didn't see a need to test
>> with an older GTK 3 version since the GTK 3 part of the change involves
>> simplifying version checks 3 <= version <= 3.10 (and
>> USE_NEW_GTK_FONT_CHOOSER) to HAVE_GTK3 checks.
>
> I think it would be good to see if the changes compile with 3.10
> nonetheless.  Can someone please try that?

Okay, I tried GTK 3.10.9 and it was fine.

>> > Not sure we discussed 3.10 as the minimum GTK3 version, we only talked
>> > about 2.x AFAIR.  What is the situation with GTK3 versions in the
>> > current distributions of GNU/Linux?
>>
>> My messages briefly discussed the minimum of 3.10 and how Debian Jessie
>> (oldstable -- soon to be oldoldstable), and Ubuntu 14.04LTS have GTK 3.10.
>
> What about others, like RH?

I'm not sure what distro you mean here.

>> RHEL doesn't even support GTK 3 until RHEL 7, which has 3.22.
>
> AFAIK, Red Hat is not limited to RHEL, and then there are derivatives,
> like CentOS.  (I'm not saying those others come with older GTK3, I'm
> just saying we should check.)

Right, but it's my understanding that RHEL usually/always contains older
packages than other Red Hat affiliated/derivative distros.

In any case, CentOS 7 (first to contain GTK 3) has GTK 3.22. As does
Fedora 27.

OpenSUSE 42.3 has GTK 3.20. Mageia 5.1 has GTK 3.14.

>> So I think bumping to 3.10 doesn't hurt, especially since there's still
>> GTK 2 support.
>
> It sounds to me a bit drastic to tell people to downgrade to GTK2
> because we don't support old enough GTK3.

At this point GTK 3.10 is widely enough supported that I don't really
think anyone will be put into that situation.

I've attached an updated patch.