Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:36:27 -0700

On 4/10/19 6:12 AM, Andy Moreton wrote:
> this breaks out-of-tree builds, as make tries to use
> /path/to/emacs/admin/charsets/Makefile rather than the correct path
> <builddir>/admin/charsets/Makefile:

Sorry, my tests didn't include a complete out-of-tree bootstrap. I
installed the attached patch to fix that problem, along with the
problem's other instance. The other -C changes should be OK. You're
correct that some of the -C changes were unrelated to the original
patch. Still, they make the Makefile more consistent and I'd like to
keep the ones that work.

PS. I'd like Emacs to switch to a nonrecursive 'make' process, as this
subsidiary $(MAKE) -C business is for the birds. We've made the switch
for other GNU projects and it's been a win. This is not a new idea; see:

Miller P. Recursive Make considered harmful. AAUGN J of AUUG.
1998;19(1):14-25. https://grosskurth.ca/bib/1997/miller.pdf