Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:11:04 -0700

Daniel Colascione wrote:
What would make the hashes easier to deal with? Some make target for
updating them automatically? An easier way to disable the check at
configure time? Transformation into a prominent runtime warning instead of
a build break?

It's better to have the build break than to have a runtime check. Of the two other approaches you mentioned, I think a configure-time option is the better idea. Since these hashes are aimed at developers and are are not needed for ordinary builds from tarballs, I think the hashes should be checked on request. I resurrected the hashes by installing the attached patch and they are now checked with the longstanding 'configure' option --enable-checking=all or with the new 'configure' option --enable-checking=structs. Comments welcome as usual.