Re: isearch region or thing at point.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: isearch region or thing at point.
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 02:13:10 +0200

Hi all!:

I have 3 questions before sending all the changes I propose:

1) I provided both cases, a function isearch-forward-region and
isearch-yank-region. One can be bind to M-s something and the other to
M-something once in isearch-mode-map. So the user will be not forced to
move to exit isearch if he is already there.

But on the other hand with the yank one the other does not offer any
real advantage as C-s M-w is not shorter than M-s M-w, bust a bit
easier to type, but not to remember.

I would like M-s M-(y?w) for the first and M-(y?w) for the second... but
I still find those a bit inconsistent (and long). What do you suggest?

2) A more theoretical:

Why the region-extract-function is not a normal function?

Why {when|if|and|...}-let macros are in such a special file and most of
the code don't use them? What's the problem with them?

3) What do you think is the right behavior in case isearch-string is not
empty?

Suppose you marked a region and then type: C-s letter, the cursor will
move to letter, but the actual active region will be from mark->letter.

Because in that case the point has already moved from it's initial
position, so the region is not the same than when it started.

1) Should the command do nothing in that case?

2) Or it must yank what used to be the initial region??

3) Something else?

Best,
Ergus.