emacs-wiki-discuss

Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Documentation

From: Paul Lussier
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Documentation
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:26:56 -0500

Thanks for rely!

In a message dated: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:09:52 EST
Michael Alan Dorman said:

>Planner is a toolset for organizing free-form interrelated information
>that (intentionally) formats its data in such a way that it may use
>emacs-wiki to publish that content.

So, if you don't publish it, there's no need for emacs-wiki mode to
be used with planner?

>There's nothing that says you have to make your planner public.

>In fact, there isn't any requirement that you even publish it to HTML
>pages at all---you could exist entirely within the planner environment
>within emacs very easily.

Ahh, okay, I thought there was some presumed expectation to be
interconnecting planner files with emacs-wiki files.

>Muse is an alternative publishing back-end.

I think I knew that, I don't remember :)

>Remember, along with its various hooks into gnus and bbdb and so
>forth, is a tool to help you easily import information into your
>planner from various sources.

What is, emacs, emacs-wiki, planner?

>The piece of code you reference is simply a succinct way to define a
>number of parallel wiki projects.

[...snip...]

>where the code differs only in whether it includes the string "Foo" or
>the string "Bar", you can define the function, then use it as shown on
>the wiki.  It's just a way to save typing.

Ahhhh, okay. So, how do you use this now in order to load up a given
Wiki tree?

>I guess what you've proven is that there's a reason to include
>docstrings in defuns. ;)

That would be cool :)

>> I think there is an assumption made by many emacs users that
>> everyone knows lisp, and knows how things are supposed to work wrt
>> emacs.
>
>I have been mistaken for someone who knows lisp.  Woohoo!

You know far more than I.  My knowledge of lisp is that I can
M-x name-last-keyboard-macro, M-x edit-named-keyboard-macro, and then
cut'n'paste that buffer into another file :)

>I am not at all comfortable with lisp.
>I'll go further---I suck at lisp.

I do so far more than you :)

>I will observe that if you are worried that including something in
>your .emacs file will break other things, make a backup copy before
>you make changes about which you are uncertain---that way, if
>something does break, you are guaranteed to be able to fix it, by
>simply restoring your backup.

I wouldn't say that I'm worried about breaking things, more that I'm
worried I won't be able to debug it in order to get it to work. I've
abandoned many a potentially useful lisp-snippet because I can't
easily get them to work, and don't know lisp well enough to debug
them.  Had it not been for Sacha helping me debug my .emacs last
week, and pointing me to my abbrevs file, emacs-wiki might well have
fallen into this list of cast-off code. (Thanks again Sacha!!! :)

One of these lifetimes I'm going to have enough "free time" to learn
lisp !

Thanks again!

--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE