[emms-help] EMMS - mpd, browse and random album play

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: [emms-help] EMMS - mpd, browse and random album play
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:00:13 +0200

  Hi.

Now that I've got EMMS running with mpd on a remote jukebox and I can
adjust the volume, the next two challenges rise:

 * How do I browse Artists/Albums/Songs?

   Until now I've been using gpmc to create the playlist. Not so fun.

   As far as I can tell from the mpd-wiki/watching gmpc, this entails
   sending 'list artist' to get a list of artists, sending 'find
   artist "Beck"' to get a list of albums and songs for an artist, and
   (perhaps) sending 'find album "Stereopathetic Soulmanure"' to get a
   list of songs on an album.

   What would be a good place to start to implement such a browser?
   Can I steal something that exists and adapt it? Perhaps I just need
   to write some sort of "back end" to an existing browsing-system?

 * When I haven't chosen something to play myself, I would like
   "random album play". That is, when the playlist becomes empty, I
   would like EMMS to select an album by random and play it.

   Pseudo-something like this:

     (defun asjo-play-random-album ()
       "Select a random album and play it"
       (let ((album (select-random-from-list (emms-list-all-albums))))
         (emms-playlist-add-album album)
         (emms-start)))

     (add-hook 'emms-when-playlist-runs-empty 'asjo-play-random-album)

   Does this sound possible/easy?

Pointers to problems, where to begin, and any else are very welcome.
My elisp is slowly getting better :-)

  Best regards,

     Adam

--
 "I wanted a computer, not a glorified fruit machine."        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         address@hidden