[emms-help] Re: EMMS - mpd, browse and random album play

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: [emms-help] Re: EMMS - mpd, browse and random album play
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:22:45 +0200

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:22:30 -0400, Michael wrote:

> This (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~monnier/elisp/) might provide
> inspiration.  I've tried out his mpc.el a couple of times, but ran
> into a few minor snafus here and there.

Cool, I'll look at that.

[looking...]

It looks like it's pretty close to something I'd love to use.
Unfortunately it doesn't run in XEmacs (and my pokes at making it work
weren't adequate).

[...]
>> (add-hook 'emms-when-playlist-runs-empty 'asjo-play-random-album)

>> Does this sound possible/easy?

> I'm testing a fix for emms-player-mpd.el that will make it run
> emms-player-finished-hook once all of the tracks in the current
> playlists are done.  So `emms-player-finished-hook' will be the place
> to stick code for random album playing.

Sweet!

> My usage of EMMS is as follows.  I have an initial playlist buffer
> that contains all of my .m3u and .pls files.  I create this by doing
> the following in my config, where all of the directories have just
> .m3u and .pls files.

> (define-emms-combined-source all nil
>   '((emms-source-directory "/stuff/sounds/albums")
>     (emms-source-directory "/stuff/sounds/mixes")
>     (emms-source-directory "/stuff/sounds/radio")))

(I think this won't work for me, as my files are not on the client,
only on the server - so I need to talk to mpd to get lists of existing
tracks (albums and artists)).

> Then, I have some custom code set up so that hitting RET in
> emms-playlist-mode either opens a new playlist buffer if we are on a
> playlist, otherwise play the file.  Thus, when I am playing music, I
> always have two EMMS buffers open.  I also remapped "q" so that it
> deletes the current buffer and goes back to the original "playlist of
> playlists" buffer.

Ah.

> If you have a lot of playlist files that each correspond with an
> album, this would be a good way to go.  I've got some more thoughts on
> that issue, but I'll save them for the metaplaylist-mode thread.

Interesting - thanks for explaining all this (I have no idea of how
playlists and stuff are usually handled).

I don't have any playlists, .m3u-, or .pls-files at all. I don't think
I want any either. I just want to be able to easily queue a(ny) number
of albums for play, when I feel like it, and otherwise have the
jukebox play a random album at a time. Very, very simple - just a
queue :-)

Oh, and then I want a "nuke" function that tells the jukebox that I
never, ever want to hear the current song again. But that's
bells'n'whistles, to implement for fun later...

We'll see how far I get.

  Best regards,

--
 "riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore         Adam Sjøgren
  to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of      address@hidden