[emms-help] emms-playlist-mode extension (was: emms-meta-playlist-mode)

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emms-help] emms-playlist-mode extension (was: emms-meta-playlist-mode)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:06:14 -0400

Lucas Bonnet <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin Katzenell <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It should be non-interactive, just like emms-playlist-mode.
>
> OK, patch on its way.
>
> I also added a way for a user to interactively create a new EMMS
> playlist buffer, and bound it to 'c'.

With this, I'm noticing some (good) overlap between my custom setup
and emms-metaplaylist-mode.  So I've got a couple of ideas that aren't
specific to emms-metaplaylist-mode, but would share a couple of
functions with it.

For starters, I'd like to move `get-emms-playlist-buffers' to emms.el
(or maybe emms-playlist-mode.el, depending on whether forcer wants the
default mode to handle multiple EMMS buffers gracefully, or leave that
to emms-playlist-mode), and rename it `emms-playlist-buffer-list'.

Then, it'd be nice to define a `emms-playlist-current-kill' function
in emms.el (or emms-playlist-mode.el) that kills the current playlist
and sets emms-playlist-buffer to the first buffer we get from calling
`emms-playlist-buffer-list', so that the next most-recently visited
playlist buffer becomes the current playlist.

Now, for the really tangential part.

I'd like to add some code to emms-playlist-mode.el that creates a new
playlist buffer whenever you hit RET on a playlist (.m3u or .pls)
file.  It would, of course, be disabled by default, so we don't
surprise people.

Another proposed extension to emms-playlist-mode is to distinguish
between burying the current playlist and actually killing it (perhaps
killing could be mapped to "k").

In Adam's case, he could make a function (added to
`emms-player-finished-hook') that calls `emms-playlist-current-kill'
(current playlist buffer changes to the last-opened one, which is a
playlist of playlists), calls `emms-random', calls
`emms-playlist-mode-play-current-track' (a new buffer with just that
album is opened), and finally calls
`emms-playlist-mode-play-current-track' again.

What do you think?  I've got code to do most of this already.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Muse, Planner, ERC, EMMS