Re: [emms-help] Re: last.fm scrobbling broken?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Re: last.fm scrobbling broken?
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 23:35:57 +0300

Jim Crossley <address@hidden> writes:

> Further, is it really necessary to pretend to be an app author (obtain
> an API key) in order to scrobble and/or stream?  It seems other apps,
> e.g. RhythmBox and Lastfm.app, only require a username and password.

My other hat is volunteering for the FSF's GPL Compliance Lab... yes, I
read copyright licenses for fun. So before I started work on
emms-lastfm-client.el I checked to see if the Last.fm terms of service
would even permit a free software implementation to exist. After reading
the terms of service I had my doubts so I contacted Last.fm and we
worked out the existing solution.

I cannot speak to what other free software projects do in this
regard. But if you want to really get copyright-license geeky then I
would say that under the terms of the GNU GPL you could probably do
without our more baroque system, but then you wouldn't be able to
further distribute your modified version of emms-lastfm-client.el. I
admit to never getting the GPL Compliance Lab's opinion on this (the
cobber's children walk barefoot I guess).

Also, I think that originally Emms was supposed to be a GNU project and
therefore I was aiming for GNU-quality GPL compliance. I have no idea
where Emms stands with regards to GNU these days (Lukhas?).