Re: [emms-help] 4.2 release tasks: emms-print-metadata install

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] 4.2 release tasks: emms-print-metadata install
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:24:03 -0400

Thank you for the quick response.

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In 4.2 I want emms-print-metadata to be installed by `make install',
>> just like the manual says it is.
>
> So just to remind of the general status.  Petteri Hintsanen is working
> on a TagLib C++ version of the emms-print-metadata.  Also, Taglib was
> recently updated to 1.11, which has better support for some tags like
> album artist, and AFAIR the C++ interface offers better access to
> tags.  So that’s a good improvement.

OK, so there is a good reason to move to C++ with this, which would
otherwise seem like overkill to me.

Since we would want to test it a bit before packing it up into a release
it can hopefully go out with the release after this one (4.3, which is
scheduled for May 2017).

>> As far as I can tell emms-print-metadata isn't being installed into
>> /usr/bin/ by `make install'. Can people confirm this?
>
> But that wouldn't work since we'd need root privilege to write to
> /usr/bin/ and isn’t ELPA friendly.

What we do with the standard install process shouldn't be influenced by
ELPA. Especially since Emms isn't in the ELPA at the moment (more on
this later).

We already have a `make install' process which requires root and is a
standard feature. So there is no additional cost to adding something
which installs to /usr/bin as well. In any case, `make all' doesn't
compile emms-print-metadata, so `sudo make install' wouldn't install
to /usr/bin unless there is an executable ready.

As such, I'll be adding installation of emms-print-metadata to the
Makefile for this release (4.2).

> I think the best way to do this would be to allow it to be compiled
> during ELPA installation.  pdf-mode does this, though
> emms-print-metadata is probably a whole lot more simple.

Adding Emms to ELPA is a good thing, and should be a goal for the
release after this one (4.3).

> Some of the pdf-mode built instructions:
>

> https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools/blob/87690b7b568ae6145dfa4ffc9fc085b80ed039fa/lisp/pdf-tools.el#L249
>
> Rasmus

I'll file that url away for the next release.

Thanks!