Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 04:21:46 +0500

On Sat, 26 May 2018 04:14:52 +0500
Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2018 18:59:06 -0400
> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Another change needed is to add a regexp to the player so that
> > (emms-player-get emms-player-mpv 'regex) will return a useful value that
> > emms-source-file-regex can use.
> >
> > Among other things this breaks is that the various
> > emms-add-... functions will add files that the player doesn't know how
> > to play. For instance, jpegs that litter album directories will start
> > showing up in the playlists, etc.
>
> Didn't think that it makes sense for mpv - it can totally "play" jpegs
> and other images, and has options for these, as well as any binary file
> one can imagine (e.g. with the right ffmpeg pipeline setup in lua).
> So these internal restrictions seemed to be kinda bogus for it.

One notable thing about other backends which don't seem to apply to mpv
in particular btw is URL formats - in default configuration on Arch,
for example, it passes these to youtube-dl, if can't process them
directly, and that tool has all kinds of unique url types for hundreds
of online media platforms.

And playlist of ytdl:// links seem to be a kinda nice thing to have,
which I'll try to have working with default regexps.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net