Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 07:57:44 +0500

On Sun, 27 May 2018 22:20:30 -0400
Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 26 May 2018 01:42:47 +0200
> > Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> What about https://github.com/Malabarba/names ?
> >
> > It does look like a nice solution.
>
> However, I would be against adding an ad-hoc packaging system to
> Emms. As someone who has written a lot of Common Lisp to for a living I
> can safely say that a package system replaces one set of problems with
> another (`shadowing-import' anyone?); it's a matter of which set of
> problems you want to deal with (1). I've have chosen the set of problems
> for Emms that come with a global namespace in the name of making the
> code accessible and uniform both internally and within Emacs. Solutions
> should probably be in the reader instead (2).

Hm, yeah, guess it indeed makes more sense for new project to pick
such packaging scheme than having inconsistency and downsides of both
approaches within existing one, as also pointed out in that thread.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-12/msg00718.html

Also, some of the downsides I had with my simple code conversion can
apparently be fixed by using proper sharp-quoted symbols for functions.

Reader aliases would seem to work in a similar way, so definitely like
that approach as well, though I think it'd bring same non-uniformity
issue with it, which is maybe why it's not implemented in emacs already
- not flawless either.

Thanks for the explaination and pointers to that discussion.
Should've probably looked it up earlier - nothing new under the sun :)

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net