Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 17:44:08 -0400

Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 25 May 2018 16:02:10 -0400
> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Before you do, please change the dependence on the cl package to the
>> newer cl-lib (clean namespace), and make sure that emms-mpv-ipc-proc is
>> defined before it is referenced.
>
> Oh, right, forgot to check it for warnings after updates, fixed both of
> these, thanks.
>
> Second one by adding dummy define for emms-mpv-ipc-proc to keep
> defcustoms in the head of the file before any internals for readability
> (as I tend to skim code to find tunables myself, not customize via ui).

As do I; I find writing Lisp to be the best user interface experience.

>> Please feel free to merge this into master so that more people can
>> hammer on it.
>
> Done.
>
> I did squash all commits of the initial implementation into one, as they
> don't seem to be very relevant to overall history, same as it was with
> previous implementation.

Makes sense.

Once it stabilizes we'll need to add documentation in the Fine
Manual. But that's only after it's been hammered upon.

> Indeed, more exposure should hopefully find more interesting uses and
> tweaks for many things that mpv offers via its APIs, as well as weed
> out bugs faster.

I use Emms to play long videos often and would like to integrate
bookmarking with the ability to detect when and where the video had been
paused on the mpv side (someone walked into the room and hit the
space-bar on my machine in order to talk to me). So that's at least one
use I'm looking forward to.