Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 03:00:21 +0500

On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:44:08 -0400
Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:

> I use Emms to play long videos often and would like to integrate
> bookmarking with the ability to detect when and where the video had been
> paused on the mpv side (someone walked into the room and hit the
> space-bar on my machine in order to talk to me). So that's at least one
> use I'm looking forward to.

That's a good idea.

Note that at least newer mpv has "write-watch-later-config" command
which stores playback position under ~/.config/mpv/watch_later/ and
will continue from the same place unless mpv is configured not to
(via e.g. --no-resume-playback option).

So unless you want actual bookmarks, i.e. multiples of these for files,
and not just one "where did I stop here" position, binding something
like (emms-player-mpv-cmd '(write-watch-later-config))) should work.

To be fair, same trick should also work with simple player as it's a
one-way command without much need for reply.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net