fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] Great News

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] Great News
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 04:53:48 +0100 (BST)

Hi everyone (sorry about long email - its important)

We have two new volunteers, Jaynie and Alastair, that
I'd like to welcome to the project.

Kevin contacted me after being at a conference in
Durban last week to say that he has potentially found
another chemistry volunteer (who has much content of
his own already written). This is great as chemistry
is our weakest book.

On another note I need to clarify something for the
project members. I have mentioned a constitution and
it contains a lot of stuff about meetings, rules etc.

We are not trying to create rules to manage our
members, we merely want to form a non-profit
organisation in SA with a subset of our members in
that organisation. This is purely so we can LEGALLY
raise money in SA. This money will go 100% to the
printing, certification of the books etc.

If we do not form a legal entity in SA, raising money
become a very complicated and dangerous affair
especially if we need to enter into contracts etc.

I know that this hasn't been 100% transparent and I'll
endeavour to explain more - also I will ask Spencer to
send our final proposal to this list so you can all
read it.

I hope you can all appreciate that it is a necessary
step. As far as strategy is concerned we will continue
to write content and hope to finish all books by the
end of the year. At that stage we will save all
content and fork the repository so that a parallel set
of books is customised to meet the SA syllabus - the
more general content we put on www.wikibooks.com

If anyone has a better idea than this please let us
know.

Thanks for all your help on the project.

Take care

Mark

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com