Re: [fluid-dev] Distorted sound from fluidsynth

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Distorted sound from fluidsynth
Date: 23 Jun 2003 16:39:36 +0200

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 15:15, Janne Kivijarvi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> All the sound I get from fluidsynth is terribly distorted. Not beyond
> recognition, and certainly not overdriven (setting a lower gain doesn't
> seem the change much of anything but the volume), but more like what I'd
> expect to hear if I'd take a CD and convert it to, say, 8 bits wide at
> sr=17013 Hz without antialiasing and without proper (not even linear)
> interpolation.
>
> I tried fluidsynth 1.0.2 (compiled on gcc 3.3) and fluidsynth 1.0.1
> from the debs in Debian Sarge, both resulted in similar sound.
>
> The TODO list has an entry 'test on AMD processors', I have an AMD
> AthlonXP 2400+, could this be the source of the problem?

Probably not the problem. I assume you are using the ALSA driver since
you are using the ALSA sequencer as well? Perhaps try different buffer
sizes and counts -z and -c (maybe -z 1024 -c 3, -z 512 -c 3, etc). Or
perhaps even a different audio driver (-a oss). What sound card do you
have? Do other apps work fine with this card?

If you are still having problems perhaps try and find the hw_params and
sw_params associated with the open audio device. You can find these in
/proc/asound (example: /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0 is for the first
playback stream on my first sound card, this card can mix multiple
streams in hardware, which is the reason for sub[0-1..]). If you could
cat the output of hw_params and sw_params while FluidSynth is running,
it might be helpful.

> Oh and another thing, I need to run `aconnect 72:0 128:0` after starting
> fluidsynth (otherwise my midi input won't find its way to fluidsynth;
> I'm using alsa_seq in fluidsynth), is this normal (I have two sound cards,
> the default one doesn't have MIDI in/out)?

Its normal to have to connect whatever MIDI inputs you want routed to
FluidSynth.

> Janne

Cheers.
        Josh Green