Re: [fluid-dev] Distorted sound from fluidsynth

From: Janne Kivijarvi
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Distorted sound from fluidsynth
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:42:39 +0300 (EEST)

Hi again,

I replaced all '/dev/dsp':s with '/dev/dsp1' in fluid_oss.c, recompiled,
and the distortion was long gone (i.e. the other sound card works a whole
lot better). Now, how do I make fluidsynth use ALSA's card1?

>Probably not the problem. I assume you are using the ALSA driver since
>you are using the ALSA sequencer as well? Perhaps try different buffer

Options -a oss and -a alsa produce the same kind of output.

>sizes and counts -z and -c (maybe -z 1024 -c 3, -z 512 -c 3, etc). Or
>perhaps even a different audio driver (-a oss).

With -z 1024 -c 3 I get the same distortion in the sound, plus a notable
delay between keypress and sound. With -z 512 -c 3 the delay is smaller,
but the sound is same. Some combinations of size and count for example
-z 256 -c 2 create clicks and pops in addition to the distortion.

>What sound card do you have? Do other apps work fine with this card?

The sound 'card' is a VIA 8235 on the motherboard (via82xx driver in
ALSA), which does work on other apps altough not quite well enough:
it distorts on highest volumes and picks up a lot of noise (the audio
cabling inside the computer is insane for one).

The card the works is an Ensoniq AudioPCI (ENS1371).

$ fluidsynth -m alsa_seq -a alsa /mnt/m1/Classic.sf2

$ /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1> cat hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 64
buffer_size: 1024
tick_time: 10000

$ /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1> cat sw_params
tstamp_mode: NONE
period_step: 1
sleep_min: 0
avail_min: 32
xfer_align: 64
start_threshold: 64
stop_threshold: 4294967295
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size: 0
boundary: 1073741824

for reference, the parameters from the subdevice in use by artsd:

$ /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0> cat hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 1024
buffer_size: 10240
tick_time: 10000
OSS format: S16_LE
OSS channels: 2
OSS rate: 44100
OSS period bytes: 4096
OSS periods: 10

$ /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0> cat sw_params
tstamp_mode: NONE
period_step: 1
sleep_min: 0
avail_min: 1024
xfer_align: 1
start_threshold: 1
stop_threshold: 10240
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size: 0
boundary: 1342177280

Janne

--
Moving parts shall not be able to crush, cut or pierce parts of the body
of an OPERATOR likely to contact them, nor severely pinch the OPERATOR's