[fluid-dev] RE: About multi ( >2 ) jack outputs

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: [fluid-dev] RE: About multi ( >2 ) jack outputs
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:05:26 -0700 (PDT)

I've just played around with this.  It appears to works with caveats:

Do this:  fluidsynth -a jack --audio-channels=16 -o audio.jack.multi=yes

>From the looks of the code, the -j option (for auto-connecting the jack ports)
only connects up to two ports then drops out of the loop.  So the best bet
(until the code is fixed) is not to use the -j option, but to manually connect
the ports using jack_connect (use jack_lsp to list the available ports) or a
graphical patch bay like qjackconnect.  Each channel is routed to the
appropriate jack ports (without reverb or chorus).

It appears that all effects output is globally mixed and sent to the
fluidsynth:fxl_00 and fluidsynth:fxr_00 ports.  Note that fluidsynth is
creating 4 effect ports in the jack.multi scenario, but only the first two
appear to be used (this is regardless of the synth.effects-channels setting
value -- it appears to be ignored).

Anyway, this doesn't seem so bad.  In fact for recording this is good, it means
that each channel can be recorded into a seperate track for independent
manipulation in the "mix".

FYI, enabling audio.jack.mutli has no effect when used in FluidGUI -- the
setting option does appear to be passed to the fluidsynth command line, but
only the two regular jack ports are created.  I'm not sure why.

Ken