[fluid-dev] Implementing the TCP command shell on Windows

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: [fluid-dev] Implementing the TCP command shell on Windows
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

I've been thinking about implementing the tcp command server for Windows
recently and I'll have a few days to actually do it later this month.

Its kind of ironic that the TCP command shell doesnt work on Windows, because
the primary reason for its existence is that you cant read and write to the
stdout/stdin of a subprocess on this platform.

Anyway, the FluidGUI application not only uses the tcp command shell on Linux,
but it also read/writes to the stdio of the subprocess in order to get the
errors and warnings produced by fluidsynth.

I propose that when the options -i and -s are given to fluidsynth (meaning that
the only way to send/receive output is to use the tcp shell server) that
messages be redirected to the tcp port prepended with "error: ", "warning: ",
"info: ", etc., so that a front-end application can distinguish between normal
output from commands and the errors, warnings and informative messages that the
synth also produces.

Ken