Re: [fluid-dev] mid2wav conversion using fluidsynth, anyone?

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] mid2wav conversion using fluidsynth, anyone?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:40:32 -0800 (PST)

I have done this before on Linux, but its a very tricky process using 4
applications at once:  jack, rosegarden, fluidsynth, and jackrec.  Hopefully
someone else will point out an easier way than this...

Start the jack deamon in "realtime" with a sample rate of 41000.  Start
rosegarden and import the MIDI file you want to convert to WAV.  Use rosegarden
to figure out how long the MIDI file will play for (transport window will tell
you this if you position the playback cursor at the very end of the piece).
Start fluidsynth with the "--audio-driver=jack" option, load your soundfonts,
set gain, etc.  Now go back to rosegarden and assign all the channels to the
corresponding channels in fluidsynth.  Position the playback cursor at the
beginning.  Now here is the fun part, start the "jackrec" application (comes
with jack) to record from fluidsynth for 10 seconds longer than the actual
length of the MIDI piece, e.g., "jackrec -d <seconds> -f midipiece.wav
fluidsynth:left fluidsynth:right".  Quickly switch back to rosegarden and hit
play.  Wait for the piece to finish playing and go back to the console where
you started jacrec.  You should notice it exit shortly.  Your midi has just
been coverted into "midipiece.wav", but you'll want to remove the silence from
the beginning and the end using an audio editor (e.g., audacity).

Ken