[fluid-dev] FluidSynth as "pure synthesizer"

From: Norbert Schnell
Subject: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth as "pure synthesizer"
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:23:27 +0100

Dear FluidSynth devels,

FluidSynth for Max/MSP, as a "pure synthesizer" compiles and links only with the following files (15/42):
  fluid_chan.c
  fluid_chorus.c
  fluid_conv.c
  fluid_defsfont.c
  fluid_dsp_float.c
  fluid_gen.c
  fluid_hash.c
  fluid_list.c
  fluid_mod.c
  fluid_ramsfont.c
  fluid_rev.c
  fluid_settings.c
  fluid_synth.c
  fluid_tuning.c
  fluid_voice.c

In order to complete these to something that compiles and actually links I added a file to fluidmax that (re-)implements the functions listed below.

In fact, this didn't change a lot since the first version of fluidsynth for Max/MSP a couple of years ago, but I always thought that this could be slightly more elegant (see remarks below in the list).

Best
  Norbert

P.S.: The current code in "bindings/fluidmax" is not complete (I am just getting back to this after some years, Josh just proposed me a login and I'll fix this ASAP).

The following functions are (re-)implemented in "fluidmax_fakefuns.c" (that should maybe be called "fluidmax_env.c")

These are anyway to re-implement depending on the host environment:
  fluid_curtime()
fluid_utime() ... (well, this could maybe go into "fluid_synth" instead of "fluid_sys")
  new_fluid_timer()
  fluid_error()
  fluid_log()
  fluid_sys_config()

This one was before in "fluid_settings" but has been moved into "fluid_sys" (personally, I'd prefer to have a separate "fluid_utils" or two separate versions of the function in "fluid_settings" and "fluid_cmd"):
  fluid_strtok ()

These don't hurt (they are just empty for fluidmax):
  void fluid_shell_settings()
  void fluid_audio_driver_settings()
  void fluid_midi_driver_settings()

And these could vanish when fluid_synth_handle_midi_event() could go into "fluid_midi" or so.
  fluid_midi_event_get_type()
  fluid_midi_event_set_type()
  fluid_midi_event_get_channel()
  fluid_midi_event_set_channel()