Re: [fluid-dev] New development

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New development
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:25:30 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:25:13 -0500
> From: Ebrahim Mayat <address@hidden>
>
> ...and while we are on the topic of new development...one
> thing that has
> been on my mind for a while is the subject of effects
> plug-ins. For the
> last few releases, I have chosen not to add the option of
> LADSPA for the
> simple reason that this often causes spontaneous crashes
> particularly
> when running qsynth.
>
> Since lv2 is the new alternative to LADSPA
>
>  <http://ll-plugins.nongnu.org>
>
> I think that it would be a good idea to consider including
> lv2 as a
> feature that could be coded into the new branch.
>
> Such considerations would probably affect future planning.

Ebrahim,

I think the crashes might be because many places in FS, variables are accessed
directly and chained structure.substructure.variable are set and accessed
without verifying validity of such data structure, or variable values.

I think the original code cheated this way for speed-shake.  Which might be a
valid trade-off at the time.  But it is mighty hard trying to track down
spontaneous crashes.

So I think LV2 support might be good thing to look forward to if someone can
add that, it doesn't guarrantee anything regarding spontaneous crashes.

I have seen one or two midi's that plays extra fast tempo that causes FS to
crash, not sure if I have the time to track it down for the time being to even
report it.

Jimmy