Re: [fluid-dev] New development

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New development
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:04:19 +0100

Josh Green escrigué:
I think the difference is between clocking MIDI events in MIDI files
based on the system timer versus using the sound card as the timing
source (how much audio has been played back).
It seems so.
 It makes sense to me to
process the audio based on the audio playback.  This would lead to
identical playback between successive renders of a MIDI file, which is
what we want.
This could be the only advantage I can think of, but it would be only reproducible in the same hardware, driver and audio buffer size setup. If you're thinking on case testing then the only solution is non-RT rendering.
  I don't see a problem with this change and I think it
would vastly improve things.  There might be a little more overhead as
far as MIDI event processing, but it would lead to more accurate timing
as well.

This would worsen latency since the core thread would have to do more work at the critical point where the sound card is waiting for data. Besides, I don't think having the MIDI file player depending on the audio driver is good.

And, please, this shouldn't be taken as disrespect to Antoine's work, I'd still have a look at it to see what he has really accomplished.

I think it's cool having this discussion now, since you're the maintainer and you'll want to have some control in the future development, it's logical. I'd like to know how good we work it out when we don't agree. :)

Cheers.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó