Re: [fluid-dev] New development

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New development
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:41:29 -0800

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 22:46 +0100, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> I have a problem with ASIO, though. First, I don't like the license terms
> from
> Steinberg: they don't allow to redistribute their sources (that are available
> free of charge for registered developers). Second, they ask for an unfair
> amount of personal data before allowing you to download the SDKs.
>
> I've created binary setup packages for Windows bundling QSynth and FluidSynth
> in the past (available in SourceForge). I fear that I'm not going to include
> ASIO support in the future ones.
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

Now that I read things right..  So your objection to ASIO extends to
PortAudio as well?  I mean, distributing a PortAudio enabled FluidSynth,
which happens to be able to use ASIO as a side effect, seems relatively
harmless.  Especially if you aren't bundling PortAudio as well.

I can understand your objections to semi-closed or completely closed
standards, I dislike them myself.  I had a rather lengthy discussion
with someone over the licensing terms of the DLS instrument standard.  I
think to this day, their clutching on to the specification is the reason
why it isn't as popular as SoundFont, despite some of its improvements
over them.  It seems like its the open standards that end up getting
adopted usually, even if they aren't necessarily the best.

Regards,
        Josh